June 28, 2018

Summer in the air, spending time on the beach, reading and visiting new places.  I am looking forward to summertime and the peacefulness of the outdoors.  Time for relaxation and no worries for the next two months.  

As I rushed into work today, I planned my every move, as I knew this was my last work day til late August.  
This year has been quite interesting, a new school with wonderful students, a unified staff standing up for their rights, and others who see seasoned administrators  as "washed up" with little to offer the profession.  

I smile as I make my way around the building, moving furniture, tidying classrooms and reflecting on the relationships I've developed with some of the brightest students in Queens.  Since beginning this journey 28 years ago, I've always enjoyed my work with young people.  As I think about my future plans, I am grateful for all the opportunities afforded me as an educator. 
 Looking back on my professional life, I remember walking to work in Bushwick, watching folks during the crack epidemic in the 80's, scurrying into dilapidated building crying for their daily fix, thinking that they were on top of the world.  Only to realize that "crack is whack" and a destroyer of precious lives.

So as the "washed up" educator prepares for retirement (360 + days), I've experienced some memorable times with many NYC students.  The small group interactions gave young people a voice, a chance to be heard and to make a difference in the world.  Our excursions into the city, ice skating, taking in a Broadway play, eating Ethiopian food, touring colleges, engaging in school wide activities and community activism has encouraged students to reach for the stars.  
I am proud to be an educator and have found much joy in spending half my life working with courageous, determined, intelligent, and conscientious young people.

As I prepare for the next ………..years, life will only get better as I continue to touch the lives of others in ways that will last a lifetime.


Peace and blessings


















Comments

  1. Love this... you are phenomenal and it was my honor to work with you!! This Summer we have to pick a date to hang out!! Love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Women